Wednesday 30 September 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 01 - Design Process - My Personal Process

What is my personal design process?

Before receiving this brief, I hadn't really considered the fact that actually, I do have a design process. I think as I'm working on my design, I don't really follow a strict 'process' as such, I actually tend to get caught up in the concepts and ideas and get swept away. But subconsciously, I do follow a process. It may not be the same for every project, I think working in this way is monotonous and doesn't allow for much deviation from my artistic style and norm. But there are things that I do every time I begin a new project and I do find myself repeating the process over and over. Below is a flow of my 'design process'. I found it pretty easy to structure and order once I got going:
Writing out my version of the design process was a great exercise. It provided me with a lot of perspective on this topic and has given me a greater understanding of ways in which designers work on an individual scale as well as in a grouped mentality. 


RECEIVE BRIEF> READ THE BRIEF THOROUGHLY> READ IT AGAIN> AND AGAIN> IDENTIFY THE NEEDS AND ISSUES THAT MUST BE SOLVED> IDENTIFY THE TECHNIQUES AND MEDIA THAT WILL BE MOST SUITABLE TO RESOLVE THE ISSUES FOUND> CONSIDER THE COSTS AND TIME-SCALE OF PRODUCTION> BRAINSTORM> PRIMARY RESEARCH> THEN SECONDARY RESEARCH> REFER BACK TO INITIAL NOTES> GENERATE INITIAL IDEAS AND CONCEPTS> ASK FOR FIRST FEEDBACK FROM PEERS AND TUTORS> DO MORE RESEARCH (VISUAL AND THEORETICAL)> DEVELOP THE INITIAL IDEAS> CONTINUE TO GENERATE MORE IDEAS> TRY NOT TO JUST STICK TO THE VERY FIRST IDEAS GENERATED> PICK THE STRONGEST CONCEPTS AND PUSH THEM FURTHER> ASK FOR MORE CRITICAL ANALYSIS/FEEDBACK> CONTINUE TO DEVELOP THE CONCEPT> GATHER MATERIALS AND MEDIA REQUIRED FOR PRODUCTION> WORK OUT EXACT COSTS> BOOK SLOTS IN SPECIFIC LOCATIONS/WORKSHOPS> FINALISE DESIGN WORK> PRODUCTION> FINAL FEEDBACK> SELF EVALUATION 

No comments:

Post a Comment