During the session, we were given time to do some primary and secondary research. I looked thoroughly through Pinterest and various other design blogs which gave me some good food for thought. Many leaflets that I see in the commercial print world are very simple in their aesthetic. Due to print costs and efficiency, many leaflets are produced using simple concertina folding methods which is understandable. However, I want to create a leaflet that instantly catches your eye and I think using a slightly more complex/intriguing folding technique will allow me to achieve that. But another part of me wants to keep it as simplistic as possible in order to not distract the audience from the content. I will continue to research folding techniques and try to find some middle ground. Below are photographs of the various experimental folds I did in today's session.
This first fold was arguably the most complex one I did in the session. It took me a good 20 minutes to work out where the folds needed to be made. I used fairly lightweight sugar paper for this fold, because it needed to be folded at least 12 times, heavier stock would not have allowed me to do that. I was really pleased with my efforts, and I think that this leaflet is very unusual and unique. However, I knew after completing one test fold that it wouldn't be practical within the context of this brief for a number of reasons. We were told to constantly consider the practicality of our own process throughout this brief, and this fold is just not practical within the time scale. If I had longer than a week to complete this brief then perhaps I would invest time into designing content for this folding technique. But I don't, so I am abandoning it. It was a great learning experience trying out this fold but sadly I won't be using it for my leaflet.
The second fold I tried turned out looking like an envelope. It was fairly straight forward but as I was completing it I knew that I didn't really like it that much and it would probably be a pain to design on InDesign. But it was worth experimenting with.
This was one of the most simple and effective folds that I experimented with and for a while I thought that I was going to use this fold for my leaflet design. I do really like this technique and think it is visually exciting and required a lot of interaction and participation from the audience. One thing that puts me off is the space; there is a lot of space to fill with content which I find a but off putting because I don't want to feel that I have to cram the space with information or imagery. I will continue to consider it throughout the research period of this brief.
Exact same folding technique but instead of using straight lines I played around with curved edges. The results are aesthetically pleasing and I am glad that I messed around with different cutting techniques here.
This fold is one of my favourites, as it requires the audience to reveal parts of the leaflet as they open up the fold. I like the idea of compressing it down into something small and letting the information spill out from the folds. I think I am going to look into using a fold similar to this one for my final leaflet design.