Tuesday 7 April 2015

OUGD404 - Brief 02 - Inspiration for Cover Design

I knew that I wanted to incorporate some sort of transparent stock into my book, where and how was a different issue. So I did some visual research. I came across a number of experimental ways of using either clear acetate or tracing paper on the internet, all of which provided me with plenty of inspiration for my own cover design. 

I designed a wrap around dust cover for my book, separating the title of the book from the imagery on the cover. I did this to visually represent the idea of having a split personality or ego as well as to make the book more interactive and aesthetically interesting. Originally I did want to print all of my portraits using similar methods, but after doing numerous test prints, I decided against it. 

Gagosian Gallery – Avedon: Women 2013

Dwell travel guide covers

Dwell travel guide

The Studio - identité pour une chaîne de télévision axée sur l'art contemporain et le design - Joseph Puy (Espagne)

Nice use of foil/high gloss text on simulator stock over printed cover

Using tracing paper over the top of images for extra text. This could be instead of having text on the back.  Would also be a nice option for packaging. Maybe tracing paper envelopes or sleeve.

Crossover Festival Branding by Jonathan Finch & Stephanie Oglesby | Inspiration Grid | Design Inspiration

Sunday Boring Sunday | https://www.behance.net/gallery/Sunday-Boring-Sunday/3789257... - a grouped images picture - Pin Them All

No comments:

Post a Comment