Wednesday 25 November 2015

OUGD503 - Brief 01 - Penguin Random House - Sketches

Below are a number of rough sketches and illustrations produced for the Penguin cover design brief. I was experimenting with line and typography placement. I am also quite interested in keeping the final design monochrome, not only to achieve a clean aesthetic but to make a subtle reference to the colour of Caitlin Moran's hair colour which is black with greyish white highlights. 

My initial experimentations are concerned with simplicity, playing around with positive and negative space, and keeping everything quite geometric, uniform, balanced and harmonious. I wanted to depart drastically from the existing cover design, which features a portrait of Caitlin Moran surrounded by cursive type. I definitely wanted to explore and refine a more contemporary style with this brief, as this is something I don't usually do. I also wanted to celebrate the female form and capture an essence of femininity in my illustrations, I felt this was important considering the content and tone of the book. 









No comments:

Post a Comment