Wednesday 18 November 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 04 - Initial Thoughts

When I first read the brief properly, I was a little confused about what exactly we were being asked to do. I was under the impression that we had to design an entire website, but soon realised we were only being asked to create a rough outline of a temporary website, using wire frames. 

This brief is specifically asking us to design for screen rather than for print. All of the other briefs in this module have asked to consider digital and print when it comes to the final 'product', so this brief is unique in the sense that we are designing everything completely for screen.This doesn't mean that should can disregard analogue design process completely, because these can be translated onto screen. 

I was curious as to whether or not the website had to represent a current singer/artist. I asked my tutor whether or not is would be suitable to create the website for an artist who was successful in the past, specifically the late 70's through to the mid 80's. He clarified that this would be acceptable, which instantly inspired me. The website's main purpose is to promote the artist, but mine will also need to revive the artist, promoting a re-release of an album, reinventing them to modern music consumers. It would also obviously have to cater directly to existing fans, the people who were around the first time the album was released. 

I made a list of artists that I would be interesting in focusing on for this brief. These are people I really enjoy listening to regularly. 


  • Florence + The Machine
  • FKA Twigs
  • Erykah Badu
  • Jamie XX
  • BICEP
  • Grace Jones
  • Aretha Franklin
Out of this list of artists, I am most drawn to Grace Jones. I enjoy her music and aesthetic equally, and I think that she will be really fun and exciting to focus on for this brief. Her most successful and arguably more iconic album 'Nightclubbing' (1981) was re-released as a deluxe edition only last year, and as far as I am aware, there was no promotional website created to accompany the re-release, so this is a wonderful opportunity to take my ideas as far as possible, because there is nothing existing to refer back to.  



No comments:

Post a Comment