Saturday 13 February 2016

OUGD503 - Brief 01 - Chicago Latino Film Festival - Unsuccessful Entry

I received an email today letting me know that my designs were unsuccessful in reaching the semifinal stage of the competition. I was naturally upset by this news, but I was pleased for the majority of the people that were selected. There were some genuinely fantastic pieces of design in the semifinal selection. 

I am pleased with what I produced because it was completely representative of myself as a creative person. I feel my style shone through in the designs, and I also feel that I answered the brief in a that I hadn't explored entirely before; a minimalist, modernist informed resolution. 


Below is the winning poster design, which I think is good but I personally believe there were more exciting designs to pick from. What is apparent here is a sense of hand rendered quality, something I observed in previous winning entries. I made it clear from the beginning that I wanted to avoid going down this route, because I felt it had already been done successfully. Clearly the judges were still looking for something of this nature, with an aesthetic that feels organic and hand crafted. I have learnt to read closer into previous winning entries when entering competitions of a similar nature in the future. I won't let this knock my confidence and I am going to attempt to enter a number of poster design competitions throughout the summer holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment