At this stage, I have begun to come up with phrases which are going to form the basis of my campaign material, most importantly the posters and leaflets which can also be translated into picket signs. Now it was just a case of applying the phrases into the format of A3 posters, selecting and experimenting with a range of typefaces. I have been greatly inspired by the amazing typographic work of Anthony Burril, who regularly pushes the boundaries when it comes to mixed typographic work. He primarily uses letterpress technology to achieve his typographic masterpieces. I have decided to opt for digital typography for this brief, for ease and efficiency. I do want to dedicate some time to experiment with letterpress and other analogue printing techniques at some point in a future project.
For the time being, I experimented with combining a range of typefaces to communicate the intended message of the campaign. I chose to use typefaces which are bold and chunky, because I associate these qualities with successful campaign graphics. I decided to type in all CAPS to emphasise the points raises, I think this is a valid design decision. I experimented with a number of combinations and scales/sizes of the fonts. I then began to introduce smaller bits of body copy at the bottom of the posters to add extra valuable information about the cause. This can be changed a reconsidered, but I thought it was a good idea to start thinking about this to add context to the strong typographic designs which appear to dominate the majority of the posters.
I played around with complimentary colours, which were sampled and influenced by retro badges from the 1970s. I think the colours certainly make the posters more visually appealing but they change the tone of voice of the aesthetic which I feel will need re-assessing. All of these designs are purely experimental and nothing is final here at all, it all needs feedback and pushing further in the right direction.