Thursday 3 March 2016

OUGD505 - Brief 02 - Brief Analysis

Product, Range, Distribution:

Examine graphic design outputs relating to social, political and ethical change. Aim to increase your awareness of historical examples plus contemporary practice that is responsive to 21st Century issues. Be sure to note the relationship between medium and message.You should then produce a body of research work that explores the connections between these concepts and their respective design outcomes prior to your own practical and conceptual exploration of possible products, ranges and methods of distribution that may be suggested by your preferred content or, indeed, those that reflect your own ideologies, concerns and/or ambitions.

Part 1:  Based on the introductory workshops, develop a practical, visual and contextual investigation of a specific subject. You should aim to develop research from a range of primary and secondary sources in order to fully explore the opportunities for informed creative development. Your research and development of this part of the brief should be documented on your Studio Practice blog and will be presented as part of your interim concept pitch.

Part 2:  Devise and develop a body of practical work that both distils your knowledge of an identified issue and demonstrates your ability to tap into the market potential for socially, politically and ethically-driven design. This output should still work within the broader creative and professional contexts of graphic design but could be based around ideas of awareness or protest. Examples of potential deliverables include (but are not limited to):

·         materials relating to an issue-led campaign (this could be one affiliated to an established organisation or a more ‘guerilla’ approach)
·         a poster series
·         a booklet/publication/manifesto
·         a web/digital platform
·         placards, banners or a set of badges
·         a range of products or merchandise that communicate your identified core message

Your contextual research, critical observations and reflective evaluations should be documented on your Studio Practice blog and summarised within reflective content that supports your design submission. Your response should explore the relationship between product range and methods/media of distribution as well as specific audiences, contexts and appropriate tone of voice. 

My analysis/Initial thoughts:

When we were first briefed on this module, I was instantly excited and optimistic. For my major responsive brief, I have been working on the Monotype project which is all about activating my 'cause' through pure typography. The brief asked me to devise my own cause, whether it be personal, local, national or global and spread the word of the campaign through graphic design which uses typography only. I have really enjoyed working on this brief and it ties in perfectly with OUGD505. I feel very prepared. 

My initial thoughts: I instantly thought it would be a cool concept to look to document an area within society/culture that I feel is under-represented or neglected. I did something along those lines for Monotype, so I could easily develop this further for this brief. The work I produce for 505 doesn't necessarily need to be representative of a traditional/stereotypical campaign as such. There is something very comforting and authentic about DIY aesthetics achieved through using analogue methods and non digital outputs. This is the route I most likely see my self taking. 

Or, I could down the complete opposite route by producing a campaign which is incredibly minimalistic, contemporary and slick. It is important to represent my own aesthetic visions. I know that I want to produce something genuine and heart felt. 

It is going to be key to conduct in depth research into production processes, distribution methods and so on for brief 01 and 02. I need to just put everything I see and feel inspired by up on the blog and not be precious about what I am posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment