Wednesday 18 February 2015

OUGD406 - Brief 02 - Idea Generation

Various rough sketch ideas on directions I could take for this brief:

The thinking here is simple, focusing on playing with the word opposite and using semiotics associated with the word. I like the idea of using pointing figures to demonstrate various directions and opposing and conflicting ideas. I also like the thought of using hand rendered type of type that resembles hand writing. The original cover design which is in my opinion, highly successful and suitable for the content relies entirely on type. I want to create something that has less of a rigid feel, something that feels hand rendered and a little more loose and free. 


 Here I experimented with overlaying the word opposite twice to create an optical illusion. I think this idea has the potential to be taken further and developed into quite a sophisticated design.




I saw an image on Google or a school of fish all swimming in the same direction, with one stand alone fish swimming in the other direction, doing the opposite. This image stuck in my mind and summed up the messages within this book really well for me, so I did some sketches of the same idea but in my own style and with type to accompany the illustrations.I wasn't trying to be neat, as I want my designs to have a definite hand rendered quality and feel to them once screen printed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment