Friday 18 December 2015

OUGD503 - Brief 01 - Chicago Latino Film Festival - Development of Ideas

I decided to fully explore the route of Latino masks for this brief. I came across a free vector illustration online which provided me with the most inspiration. Obviously, I wasn't able to use someone else's artwork in my final poster designs, so I experimented for a while with duplicating and placing the vector found online, and then had a go at illustrating my own using Adobe Illustrator. 

Before starting level 05, I had a very limited knowledge of how to use Illustrator. I really struggles with using the pen tool etc, but I wanted to develop my skills, expand my practice and ultimately challenge myself, so I set myself the task of drawing a mask that was very similar to the one I came across online. Once I got started, it was pretty straight forward and I managed to draw a vectorised mask in a matter of minutes. This digital illustration will form the basis of all the experimentation to come. I want to incorporate the mask thoroughly and try to hybrid it with other cultural symbols associated with the themes of Latino culture and film festival iconography. 





2 comments:

  1. Heh! That's NOT our Latino culture symbol. THat's the Mexican hieroglyphs, probably their God of Death.
    Mexicans do NOT consider themselves as Latino, but Mexican or Chicanos, from the Indian culture.

    You have to understand that from Costa Rica thru Panama, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, to Cuba and Puerto Rico, we, have an admixture of African, Spanish and Indian. The culture is different, the food ( we donn't have tacos and hot chili), the dances ( we don't have the Hat Dance/ El Jarabe Tapatio, thank you), the accents,and especially, the music, is completely different than that of Mexico and Central Amer. We have the Cuban Boleros, the Danzon, the Criole Vals, Cueca Chilenas.

    So, please don't include the rest of Spanish-Speaking Americans, with that symbol of the Aztec. We're predominantly Christian, and our symbol is the Christian Cross.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cont'd.

    The folk dance (s) of Argentina is NOT the Tango, as is so hyped in the U.S., but the Chacarera, the Zamba, and the Malambo, among others.

    ReplyDelete