Friday 4 December 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 04 - Final Critique with Only Studio

Today we had final critique sessions with the guys from OnlyStudio. The session was very beneficial for me, because I was beginning to feel frustrated with the work I was producing in response to this brief. The discussion in the crit clarified what the brief was really asking us to achieve and gave me a good idea of what direction to take my work in for module submission. In hindsight, I now know that I didn't decode the brief as fully as I needed to, which meant that I produced work for the crit that didn't really answer it that appropriately. Having said that, the crit group did have some positive and constructive feedback to give. The group agreed that my 'home page' is strong aesthetically, and they thought that the colour scheme used was appropriate. They praised the 'cover page' even more, saying that the full page GIF along with the hash-tag worked really well and had a strong underpinning concept that should really run throughout the entire campaign website. 


I was prompted to take a look at a number of websites for inspiration, notably Channel 4's News Wall, a website dedicated to animated GIFs. The standalone site is hosted on Tumblr and is targeted at an audience of 16- to 34-year-olds. The GIFs are designed to display prominently on social media such as Twitter, and are accompanied by short text summaries of stories. It was created by Channel 4’s in-house creative team 4Creative, working with ITN, which produces Channel 4 News. I really like the idea of condensing information down into short bursts of visual stimulation. People in the crit group suggested that I create a similar 'wall' of GIFs of footage of Grace Jones, overlaying lyrics, tweets and various hashtags associated with her and album. This wall of visual information would admitedly look wild and crazy, and maybe a bit overwhelming. However, it would undoubtedly spark conversation and intrigue people, building hype, which is ultimately what this brief is all about. I am going to continue refining and developing my design to give them the strongest conceptual identity that I know it has the potential to have. 




http://www.designmadeingermany.de/sites-we-like/
http://www.siteinspire.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment