Wednesday 7 October 2015

OUGD504 - Brief 02 - Initial Visual Research

After defining the logo design requirements, I began doing some secondary visual research using the Internet. I knew from the start that I wanted my logo design to have a painterly, hand rendered feel and style to it, so I did some quite wide research into traditional illustrations of sheep:

I stumbled upon Megan Diddie Illustrations, which are beautifully graphic yet delicate. She mainly uses ink to create her stunning artwork and I have taken quite a lot of inspiration from this one drawing of a group of lambs.


I also looked briefly at a number of Victorian taxonomy illustrations of various species of black sheep. What I like about these illustrations is the attention to detail, the accuracy of the proportions and the depth that the drawing material has added to the illustrations. 

This quirky illustration is centered around what appears to be someone's fingerprint.  This is a clever idea and adds a lot of originality to what could have been quite a plain, stereotypical little drawing. 
This water colour is stunning, and I am going to try my hand at creating drawings of a similar nature. 


Henry Moore illustration: Henry Moore has a very distinctive style. It is very illustrative and figurative and has provided me inspiration in this early stage of the brief. 





No comments:

Post a Comment